For all you domestic goddesses (and gods!), when amour is in the air….bake with love.
Happy Valentine’s to all my readers ♥
Valentine’s gingerbread cookies
Makes about 40 small cookies
Prep 30 minutes, plus cooling time
Cook 20 minutes
You will also need: large heart cookie cutters, a skewer and ribbon for hanging if you wish, 2 baking sheets lined with baking paper, rolling pin
125g unsalted butter
2 tbsp black treacle
2tbsp golden syrup
225g light muscovado sugar
450g plain flour
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tbsp cinnamon powder
1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp whole milk
icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 170C, fan 150C, gas 3. Place the butter, treacle, golden syrup and sugar in a pan and heat gently until the butter melts and sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour and spices and pour the sugar mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda into the milk and add to the bowl. Combine to make a dough, adding a little more milk if necessary. Wrap in clingfilm and place in the fridge to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a surface lightly dusted with flour and cut out heart shapes using the cutter. Transfer on to the baking sheets slightly spaced apart, and bake for 10-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and whilst they are still soft, make one hole in each with the point of a skewer large enough to thread some ribbon through, then leave to completely cool on a wire rack.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving or hanging.